We have learned that the D-SNAP is NOT yet being implemented for NEW applicants. Existing SNAP recipients are being contacted.
Because of the unique needs of disaster survivors, D-SNAP uses different standards than normal SNAP. If you would not normally qualify for SNAP, you may qualify for D-SNAP if you had one of the disaster-related expenses below:
- Home or business repairs
- Temporary shelter expenses
- Evacuation or relocation expenses
- Home or business protection
- Disaster-related personal injury, including funeral expenses
- Lost or no access to income due to the disaster, including reduced, terminated, or delayed receipt of income, for a large part of the benefit period
- In some cases, food loss after a disaster like flooding or power outages
If you’re a current SNAP client, you can request a supplement when your state operates a D-SNAP if you meet the conditions below:
- You currently get benefits that are less than the monthly maximum, and
- You have losses from the disaster.
The supplement brings your benefits up to the maximum for your household size. This way benefits are equal between D-SNAP and SNAP households after a disaster.
Current SNAP clients may also request replacement benefits for food that was lost in the disaster and bought with SNAP benefits. Just contact your local office at 1-866-762-2237.